- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced in half rings
- ⅓ cup canola/sunflower/vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 green chilies half slit
- 4 cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice rinsed in several changes of water
- 4 cups water
Heat oil in a large stockpot, and add onions. Fry for 10 minutes on medium-low heat till golden brown.
Add crushed ginger and garlic, and fry on low heat for one minute.
Add green chilies and fry for a few seconds.
Add whole and ground spices. Fry for 2-3 minutes till fragrant.
Stir in chickpeas.
Add water, salt and rice, and bring to a boil.
Lower to a simmer and let the water boil out, about 10 minutes.
Once the water has boiled out, bring the heat down to the lowest possible point. Wrap tight fitting lid with a cotton cloth, cover pot with it, and let the rice steam for 8-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and place on serving platter. Fluff with a fork.
Also Check These Recipes